Monday, January 14, 2019

Mt Wire, No pants, Frozen Legs (no brain, no pain), January 8, 2019

Trail "run" up Mt. Wire today. Sometimes one should just give-in to societal norms and wear pants. As a result I froze my legs today!! Soft-pack trail up to Red Butte Saddle was not a big deal on bare calves, but unbroken trail from saddle to the summit of Mt. Wire was another story. Trail-breaking in knee to thigh deep snow, which is .6 mile, 800 vertical, was very cold! But my fault, I was totally fooled by the fake news of sunshine on snow fooling me into thinking it was warm. 


AAAAAAHHHHHHhhhh, beautiful mountains. Then there's ALL that on the right.

South-side of Bountiful Ridge. Burro Mine (l) and Grandview (r).

The tower on Mt. Wire, an old beacon to guide aircraft over the Wasatch. My Dad said that it was still in use during the 1950's when he and my Mom were living in Stadium Village while attending the University of Utah. 

Prayer flags on the tower fence.

Zoom on Grandview Peak.

View NW. Antelope Island on the left.

Next time I'm wearing pants!

Cough, cough, cough, COUGH, clear throat, spit, cough, repeat.

5 comments:

  1. I’ve read your blog for years but it’s time to stop. Your politics are bullshit, your photos suck and your writing is uninformed. FU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, it took you years to come to that conclusion??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing that shot of Grandview Peak, I want to ski down Cottonwood Gulch, then go down City Creek Canyon to City Creek North Fork, connecting back up to Rudy's Flat. I'd be sure to find a moose or mountain lion, though, that's my only hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fun tour Spencer (CC Cyn to Cottonwood Gulch to Grandview). Although, while on skis I've never exited via the North Fork to Rudy's. I've done North Fork (both up and down) during the summer with a Mountain bike, but never with ski's. Cottonwood Gulch is a cool place on ski's. There is a myriad of ski descents along the west Ridge between Burro Mine and Grandview, Plus the East ridge too. Some are steep, tight couloir-ish. When I tour up Cottonwood to Grandview I've always done it by strapping skis to bike and riding up the City Creek Canyon road, so late winter/early spring, when the snow has mostly melted off the road. It's a grind pedaling up the canyon but the exit is extremely fast and painless compared to skiing all that way on very low-angle terrain (6 miles and about 1,000 foot vertical change).

      Delete
  4. Your blog is rad and incredibly inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Mike

    ReplyDelete