Friday, March 19, 2021

Too Late - Too Warm - Too Lazy, March 5, 2021


I aborted my ski day at Rudy’s Flat (see post title). I worked today and hoped to take off at noon, but the calls and delays kept coming so it was after 3pm when I finally broke free. Way too late to even try on a hot, spring day, but what the hell, sometimes the most improbable days are the best.  

Incidentally, on the way out I saw my life pass before my eyes. While descending the North Canyon road, I took off my skis to walk across a rocky, bare spot. I normally just walk the bare spots with skis on, but this one was particularly rough and I wanted to minimize the damage. When stepping back into the skis I suddenly heard a truck engine at a high RPM. I couldn’t see it but from the engine noise I could tell it was close and moving fast, so I scrambled to get my skis on, which of course meant I could get them on, tech-bindings requiring a bit of finesse to step in. I was on a very narrow spot of the road and I was standing in a wheel trench when that damn truck came flying around the corner. It was  heading straight for me and not slowing down, instead, the driver had it floored, tires spinning on the icy road, in order to ascend the steep section where I was standing. I had to jump off the road to avoid being run over, the driver glaring at me as he spun by. Of course he had “In God We Trust” Utah license plates, and Trump stickers all over the bumper, but the 'Trust in God' was ALL on me to avoid death. It’s ironic how way too many Utah drivers spray the religious shit but showing nothing of an inclination toward God.  


KPF

Nature or nurture? This spot, before KPF, was a meadow surrounded by tall Canyon Maples and it was a long-used, bed-site for a large animals, either a Moose or Elk. Now, cleared for over seven years, this site is still used as a bed for a large animal. It’s probable that the animals using it as a bed-site seven years ago are now dead, so it’s interesting how generations of animals go back to similar locations. 

Snow-stake just peaking out. In a month it will be fully exposed.

123cm (48in) at Rudy’s Flat, but melting fast. 

Bountiful Peak through the trees. (9,269 ft)

Session's Mountain, East Peak (right - 9,252 ft), West Peak (left - 9,224 ft), and Rocky Basin. 



Too wet and warm. Time to go home. 




2 comments:

  1. I really wish that road became closed to vehicle traffic. I'm at peace with the motorcycles, but it's insane that people try to push their vehicles up that road mid-winter. They greatly reduce the ski-ability of that road.

    If I had almost been run-over by an idiot going up that road in his truck, I would be pretty darn mad, to put it mildly. I'm glad you're okay, and that he didn't run your skis over if you couldn't've gotten into them on time.

    Haven't enough vehicles gotten themselves stuck up there for someone to at least consider closing it to vehicle traffic? I guess the problem is that there are properties up there that property owners expect to be able to reach by vehicle. I'm not sure what the point of some of those properties really is.

    Rice/Mud bowls await! That is, if I can keep from gaining too much weight. I fell off the wagon today and ate a bunch of candy, chips and soda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The road was gated at the end of the pavement about 10-15 years ago, by the upper canyon landowners to stop the damage and trashing of their property, but someone with too much money took them to court and forced them to unlock the gate, claiming “perpetual public easement” which worked. I don’t get why people drive it even in the summer. It’s 1.3 miles and not a great spot for off-roading, so it boils down to shear lazyiness. If you can’t walk 1.3 miles there are much better places to go “nature-driving.”

    ReplyDelete