Sunday, November 17, 2013

Valencia, Spain, May 10, 11 and 12, 2013


Hotel Ad Hoc Monumental, another great old-town Spanish hotel.
 


Searching for a laundry. Once we found it (a monumental task) I was kind of frustrated and slammed the washer door to start the cycle only to break the lock, thereby locking a weeks worth of clothing for three people into the washing machine. I started yarding on the door and, seeing my supposed destruction on a security camera (piso just upstairs), the owner rushed down and started screaming at me in Spanish. I have no idea what she was screaming at me, but my son Trevor, having lived in Spain for two years, came between us and gently told me to walk away. The owner quickly had the  washer open, giving me dirty looks the whole time. I don't think I smoothed any American-Spanish relations with that episode. The ugly American came out and I still feel bad.

Walking to the Ciutat de les Arts ai les Centas (City of Arts and Sciences). The 2-mile walk was along the former river-bed of the Turia River.

City of Arts and Sciences.




Valencia's aquarium.


Estadi Ciutat de Valencia, Futbol stadium for, Valencia C.F., which won the Spanish League in 2002 and 2004 (the year it also won the UEFA Cup.


Back at our hotel. On the fifth floor.

Metro in Valencia.

Metropolitan Cathedral–Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady of Valencia (Spanish: Iglesia Catedral-Basílica Metropolitana de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora de Valencia.



I love Paella, and this was the best we found in Spain, which was tough to beat, it was ALL fantastic.

Even the Fanta tastes better in Spain.

Walking the main drags of Valencia was chaotic . . .

. . . but the side-streets were quiet.


We missed the bull-fight by one day.



Whirlwind! Checking out of the hotel of each city was always tough. We loved each city and wanted to stay. (The river walk is below street level in the trees, seen at the end of the street.)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment