Sunday, February 10, 2019

Mt. Van Cott, February 6, 2019


At almost 57-years-old I've never outgrown recess. I try to go trail running every day during my lunch break, and it works wonders when I can get out. I come back alive and energized. My mind is clear and I'm alert the rest of the day. When I don't, my head is bobbing by 3pm. It's a battle staying awake until quitting time. 

I'm lucky to work at Research Park which is part of the University of Utah. My office building is in the foothills (literally) of the great Wasatch Range of Utah. Just 100 yards out the back door and I'm on a trail heading up a myriad of peaks or canyons, Mt. Van Cott, Red Butte Peak, Mt. Wire, Red Butte Canyon, Georges Hollow or Dry Creek, to name a few.

Today there was 15 inches of new snow at work (5,000 feet) and about 24 inches up to 10 foot drifts at the summit of Mt. Van Cott (6,340 feet). I had to get out into that snow, so I went running, OK waddling, through that snow headed for MVC. It was cold, low 20's but colder with the windchill, more like low teens, and I was freezing from the start. MY light gloves (thin liners which are normally ample for a run) were not working and my fingers were soon numb, so about 3/4 the way up I turned around to head back to work. But after descending maybe 30 feet my conscience got to me, I just could not stop now, so I turned around - again - and wen to the summit of Mt. Van Cott.     

Ten foot drifts on the summit ridge.

Happy face, too cold to smile.





As shallow as it got.

Sun briefly peeking through during the descent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment