Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Finally! Some Good Corn. B-Ridge, April 5, 2017



At the top of Dead Tree Peak, trying to learn how to fly my new toy, and doing so while on a mountain while skiing is not the best place to learn. The drone is a total time waster, but I lucked out with a couple of good shots. 

Today was the first time I drove all the way up North Canyon since last spring. 

Meadows just below Kara's Pot Farm (KPF).

The 'Three-Nephites' over the drainage in KPF. Kind of tricky on skis when the logs are not covered.

Busy as a beaver . . . 



Oak brush and shorts, not the best combo.

The snow-stake (rock) completely free of snow.

Approaching Rudy's. 

Rudy's Flat

23 inches.

Altimeter is quite accurate   . . . blood from my fight with Gamble Oak. I lost.


Coyote slipping on the hard pack on a 38 degree slope.

Douglas Fir is easy to spot by their cockroach tails.

Dead tree in Dead Tree Bowl, Antelope Island beyond.

Tree-rock in the Mahogany where the summer trail tops out on Bountiful Ridge. 



Looking down a ski run I call 'Scott Cutler's Yellow Coat,' named for the jacket of a good friend. We (Scott, me and 4 or 5 more friends) camped here in the snow one late spring night when we were about 14 (about 1975). Scott was the only one smart enough to bring a warm coat and he was toasty while the rest of us froze our asses all night. 

The top of Scott Cutler's Yellow Coat. Most years one must down climb the rocks to start skiing, This year it was ski-able from the top, first time in about five years.

Tree wells everywhere, now even more pronounced with the melting snow.


Dead downed tree on Rectangle North. 

Tracks on upper Rectangle Run.

Heading up for run #2. Down on right, up on left.

Cornice over Rectangle Bowl, City Creek Canyon and SLC.

Bad boy! I almost lost it when the battery nearly died and I couldn't get it to fly to me (sun was so bright I couldn't see it on the screen). Panicked, I finally hit 'return to home' and it flew back up and landed itself  at the take-off. I just had to skin back up to retrieve it (about  3/4 mile and 1,000 vertical).  

Yeah, not too happy at this moment due to the almost-lost drone, but it all turned out OK.

City Creek Canyon and the central Wasatch beyond.

(L-R) Gobblers Knob, Millicent, Raymond, Superior, Monte Cristo, Dromedary, Broads Fork Twins, Thunder, Olympus, Lone Peak, with many unnamed peaks in between.

(L-R) Sessions, Big Black, Burro Mine, oh and my skis. . . .

(L-R) northern tip of Antelope Island, Raft River Mtns (barely seen in upper left), Promontory Point, Ben Lomand, Thurston, Francis Bountiful Peak.

For all the hiking I do over rocks and logs, these skis are in amazingly good shape.

Spring is here when the grass turns green at 7,100 feet. . . 


Another month and I'll be riding this.

No comments:

Post a Comment